FAQs on Insurance for Students

  • Students undertaking compulsory placement overseas will be covered by the University for Public Liability, Professional Indemnity, Personal Accident and in most cases Travel insurance (you will need to contact the Insurance Office to discuss your eligibility for travel insurance). Details of coverage.
  • Liability insurance policies have jurisdictional limitations regarding USA and Canada. Placement coordinators should contact the Insurance Office for confirmation of cover prior to approving placements to these countries.
  • Due to limitations of our Medical Malpractice insurance, placements in the USA and Canada can not be considered for the following disciplines: Nutritional Physiology; Podiatry; Medical Radiation; Human Movement; Physiotherapy; Nursing & Midwifery; Pharmacy; Social Work; and Psychology.

The University provides Public Liability, Professional Indemnity and Personal Accident insurance for students on placement interstate. Details of coverage. In some cases students may also be covered under the University's travel insurance policy. You will need to contact the Insurance Office to discuss your eligibility for travel insurance.

Contact the Insurance Office who will advise the student on his/her eligibility to claim. The student will then be provided with a claim form and advised of the applicable excess amount.

In the case of accident or injury while on placement, the student should contact the placement coordinator or academic supervisor in the first instance. A Student Incident Report (FS24) (PDF 74.5KB - download Adobe Acrobat) must then be completed and a copy sent to the University's Insurance Office.

The University can offer some Insurance coverage for students who undertake placements/voluntary work outside of curriculum, provided that the placement is relevant to the student's program of study.

In such cases, students should contact their school to discuss voluntary placement opportunities or alternatively you may contact the Insurance Office for more information.

Students undertaking a vacation placement supported by a scholarship are covered provided one of the following is signed by both the University and the placement provider:

  • Where the scholarship is provided by the University: A University FS23 form (PDF 39 kb - download Adobe Acrobat); or
  • The 'Responsibilities for Insurance Cover for Students on Scholarship supported External Field Placement/Research Experience' agreement: where the scholarship is provided by an external body (such as the Cancer Council).

No. If a student suffers psychological or emotional distress as the result of an incident or activities that occur while undertaking a placement, s/he should be referred to the Learning and Teaching Unit's Counselling Services.

Students who undertake study related travel may be eligible for University's travel insurance. Any student wishing to access University travel insurance should complete a UniSA Travel Insurance Student Assessment Form and submit to the Insurance Office to determine their eligibility.

The policy excess for UniSA Travel Insurance is $250 ($500 for electronic equipment). Students wishing to use UniSA Travel Insurance will be responsible for any excess deducted on settlement of a claim. The University is not responsible for expenses incurred that are not covered by the policy.

The University provides Public Liability, Professional Indemnity, Personal Accident and where appropriate Travel insurance for students on placement. Details of coverage.

Where appropriate Medical Malpractice insurance is also provided, however please note that students are only insured when providing medical treatment under the supervision of a qualified practitioner.